Friday 25 September 2015

A Surreal Dream of Dream Beach Nusa Lembongan

There is no shortage of beaches in Bali. Yet, there must be some magic at work here as every beach feels unique, a moment far better than the previous one. The Dream Beach in the Nusa Lembongan Island is no different.

I landed on the beach after a thoroughly enjoyable ride by speedboat from Sanur Beach located on the eastern coast of Bali. There is something rather thrilling about riding a speedboat over calm blue waters. On landing, I met a bunch of friendly locals, one of which graciously offered to take me to the beach on his moped taxi, a novel experience if you haven’t tried it before.

On reaching the beach, is realised how accurate the name is! In fact, dream does not even begin to cover the allure of this place! I walked down the soft sands warmed by the sun and whose colour reminded me of butter. As for the waters, I felt as if someone had painstakingly melted blue crystals and let it flow. The Dream Beach is everything I had dreamed of in a picture perfect beach.

It’s easy to have high expectations when a beach is named ‘Dream’ but the beauty of the place was far better than I could’ve ever imagined!

I walked around the beach lost in its tranquil beauty. Thankfully, there were fewer crowds here to disrupt my reverie. The seclusion of the beach casts a peaceful atmosphere over the place. As afternoon slowly approached, I made my way to the quaint Lumbung style huts that are often found in the Lombok island of Bali.

As soon as I rented a room, I returned to the beach. I felt magnetically drawn to the waters painted in blue and coral undertones and I surrendered any notion of escaping the pull exerted by this fantastic place.

On my way to the waters, I met a few locals who told me not to venture out too far due to the strong undercurrents. Taking heed of the advice, I kept close to the shore. A dive into the waters revealed a surprise waiting for me! I didn’t expect to come across such beautiful specimens of aquatic life so close to the shore. Thanks to the clarity of the waters, I did not even require any snorkelling gear whatsoever to enjoy this underwater sight.

The swim had left me a bit tired so I decided the best thing to do would be to simply lie down on the beach. I found myself a cosy spot a bit far from the crowds and sat down to watch the waves and feel the breeze. This, I felt, was a good way as any to enjoy a beach this marvellous.

Afterwards, I walked down to the small cafĂ© on the beach for a few bites. I stopped by the beach to watch the magnificent sunset whose beauty left me in a daze. How many more surprises this beach can hold, I wondered. I didn’t have to wait for long. The only restaurant in the beach surprised me with a calamari dish that left me speechless!

As I dozed off in one of the traditional lumbung huts, I did not have to dream about beaches. After all, I had experienced the aptly named Dream Beach.

free counters