Sunday 23 August 2015

Courtesy of Now! Bali Magazine Featuring Tegal Wangi Beach

Live life to the fullest


Every once in a while you need a getaway vacation to relax, enjoy and see what else the world has to offer apart from your usual daily routine. The trick for the vacation is the choice of destination, be it the Caribbean, the Indian Ocean or even the remote beaches in enchanting Islands. It matters a lot where you choose to enjoy your holidays.

So there I was, riding my motorbike heading to the entrance gate of Ayana Resort and Spa Bali, about 30 minutes from the airport, and continued along the countryside road to the right. A five minute drive led me to this so called Hidden Beach with its killer view. It is originally named Tegal Wangi Beach as it is located in Tegal Wangi Street, but I guess the backpacker community who found the place changed it to whatever they wanted it to be; Hidden Beach. However, since the post signs telling the location of the beach are everywhere, I don’t think to put a label as “Hidden” would be appropriate anymore.

It was almost 5pm when I got there, and I noticed a group of people (mostly Korean, Chinese or Japanese) lined up to take turn pre wedding shoot in the sideline of the cliff. I parked my motorbike in this huge parking space next to Pura Segara Temple. From where I stood, I could feel the ocean breeze greeted my face, and it was a good feeling. As I waltzed closer to the cliff… magnificent view! Clear blue water with curling waves hitting the beach down there. Hiked down was the only option. Fairly terrifying for the first timer, but actually it is quite easy once you get a hold of one rock to another. Well at least for me, because after all, I was just following the path that people do to travel down.

It was a perfect day to go to the beach. Gratitude to the man up there for this lovely day. All the sudden, I was surrounded by cliffs and white clean sand. If there was no pre wedding session near me, I would be like Tom hanks being isolated in ‘Cast Away’. I mean there are spots to fish not far from the beach. There are cozy rocks to lie down. There are small caves to hide you from the rain or sun. So basically, this beach provides shelter, food, and bed. So I said to myself, “Man, I could live here.” God must have spent a little bit more time on this beach.

This semi hidden beach has two ‘ocean Jacuzzis’ facing directly to the ocean wide as if welcoming to the glorious waves. Unfortunately, these beach basins are only available during low tide. It is impossible to see them when the high tide is on. It is dangerous and I wouldn’t recommend to hangout near or even stay inside the cave as the big waves will always hit the cave and suck everything back to the ocean in seconds! I have to warn you, big waves come and go quite often. Keep alert and be prepared.
When the sun began to set behind the western of horizon, new faces were popping up at the beach. That was my cue to hike back up to the cliff. Looking back at the hidden jewel beneath me, I realized that only a small number of locals were down there at the beach. It was hard for me to comprehend the fact that this beautiful site was unknown to even the locals, such amazing facts I got to learn. I must say that this trip was definitely worth it, and it goes without saying that it is one of those places that I will never tire of. I will definitely return not for the fun part of it but for the serenity the beach offered me. I will remain myself to revisit this beach in the morning.

On my way back to the parking lot, I stumbled on an Italian couple. Quick chat led to another thing, and next thing I realized the guy quoted something that stick in my head until now. “You can be the most beautiful person in the world that everybody sees light and rainbows when they look at you, but all of that doesn't even matter if you don't realize it.” Referring to what he said, I guess Tegal Wangi Beach realizes its beauty, allowing me and the visitors here something to be remembered for the rest of the day. 

- Joannes Rhino -

free counters